†KUROWONDERLAND†
♦ FOLLOW
Navigations
Home
Journal
Profile
Tutorials
Reviews
Favorite Blogs
Tumblr
YouTube
Ameblo
Credits
Contact Me
KURO WONDERLAND

Samantha - New York City - 25
FASHION - BEAUTY - DIY



Follow me
Follow on Bloglovin

  • Instagram

    Search

    Tags
  • Accessory
  • Alice and the Pirates
  • Angelic Pretty
  • Apps
  • Baby the Stars Shine Bright
  • Beauty
  • Betsey Johnson
  • Black Moral
  • Circle Lenses
  • Closet Child
  • Decor
  • DIY
  • Fashion
  • Game Review
  • Giveaway 
  • h.Naoto 
  • Halloween
  • Hair 
  • Haul 
  • Health 
  • Introduction 
  • J-Rock
  • Kigurumi
  • Live report
  • Lolita
  • Makeup 
  • Nail art 
  • New York City
  • Random 
  • Review 
  • Ryu Ga Gotoku
  • Sex Pot Revenge 
  • Stencil
  • Style Obsession
  • the Gazette
  • Travel
  • Tutorial
  • Video
  • Vivienne Westwood
  • Wig
  • DIY Barbie Head keychain on Wednesday, June 6, 2012 @ 11:55 PM
    The other day, my mom was cleaning out the basement and found a couple of my old Barbie dolls. I only found one of them that had smooth hair. Let's just say that I wasn't very gentle with my old Barbies when I was a kid, especially with their hair.
    The Original (Sorry for the quality; I used my iTouch for this)
    I decided that I wanted to use the head as a key chain, inspired by a couple street snaps I've seen from TokyoFashion.


    The original Barbie had the standard platinum blonde hair. I was pretty impressed by the condition of her hair except for the bangs. She had this weird 80s thing going on with the bangs.


    The first thing I did was blacked out her eyes with paint and also had it dipping out of her mouth. It's a little grotesque (and kinda messy) but I think it looks pretty cool.


    Next, HER HAIR! I knew I didn't want the blonde so I was looking all over Google on how to dye Barbie's hair. At first, I was going to find a red Sharpie and take it apart to take the ink out, but that just seems so messy. There are methods like acrylic paint and food coloring also but the color only stays until you wash it again. Even if they did lasted, I didn't have those products in fun colors. 
    In the end, I decided to experiment with some of my hair dyes since I read somewhere that Special Effects hair dye could color synthetic hair.
    I used Blue Haired Freak and JoyRide. The colors actually faded as I rinsed the dye off, but I really like the pastel effect.


    To fix that 80s bang, I just layered hot glue to make a pompadour.


    Finally, I drilled a nail into the top of the head and VOILA~


    I actually love how it came out!
    Bonus picture for laughs~

    Labels: ,


    Post a Comment