†KUROWONDERLAND†
♦ FOLLOW
Navigations
Home
Journal
Profile
Tutorials
Reviews
Favorite Blogs
Tumblr
YouTube
Ameblo
Credits
Contact Me
KURO WONDERLAND

Samantha - New York City - 25
FASHION - BEAUTY - DIY



Follow me
Follow on Bloglovin

  • Instagram

    Search

    Tags
  • Accessory
  • Alice and the Pirates
  • Angelic Pretty
  • Apps
  • Baby the Stars Shine Bright
  • Beauty
  • Betsey Johnson
  • Black Moral
  • Circle Lenses
  • Closet Child
  • Decor
  • DIY
  • Fashion
  • Game Review
  • Giveaway 
  • h.Naoto 
  • Halloween
  • Hair 
  • Haul 
  • Health 
  • Introduction 
  • J-Rock
  • Kigurumi
  • Live report
  • Lolita
  • Makeup 
  • Nail art 
  • New York City
  • Random 
  • Review 
  • Ryu Ga Gotoku
  • Sex Pot Revenge 
  • Stencil
  • Style Obsession
  • the Gazette
  • Travel
  • Tutorial
  • Video
  • Vivienne Westwood
  • Wig
  • Tutorial: How to Soften Your Wig With Fabric Softener on Sunday, February 17, 2013 @ 6:28 PM
    As I have discussed in my Lockshop Review post, I have always wanted a split wig. I recently found a used synthetic Gabalmania one on a Storenvy shop for less than $20! 
    What a deal, right? I can just wash it and it'll be good to go! Well, that's what I thought until I actually got the wig in the mail. It was a tangled mess. I guess I can't really complain since the price was so cheap to begin with.
    Left side was the what I had begun to brush out
    There were also knots caused by what I think was remnants of hairspray. I spent a total of 4 hours brushing the entire wig out of its tangles. Seriously, it was 4 hours; I watched the full extended version of Return of the King while brushing. But even after brushing it all out, the wig looked nothing like the stock picture, which was supposed to have a wavy/crimped texture. It turned out to be straight (the previous owner might have straightened it but she didn't state in the sales description), and the wig fiber looked and felt really dry and like hay.
    So I decided to soak the wig in fabric softener to hopefully help the wig regain some of its shine and softness. And this is how you do it!


    Step 1: Fill a plastic basin or your sink with lukewarm water.

    Step 2: Add and mix fabric softener into the water. The ratio should be 1:4; fabric softener to water.


    Step 3: Submerge the wig into the water. Don't swoosh it around so it doesn't create any more tangles. Let sit for about 30 minutes. 


    Step 4: After 30 minutes, drain the water and rinse the wig to rid it of excess fabric softener.

    Step 5: (Optional) Wash as regular with wig shampoo

    Step 6: Set on top of a towel and let dry completely

    Step 7: Brush!



    You can also use 4 parts water - 1 part fabric softener as a detangler. Just put it in a spray bottle and spray & comb out.

    You might need to soak the wig with fabric softener more than once if the wig is REALLY damaged. 

    As for this wig, I soaked it twice and brushed it out both times after it had dried. After the second wash, the fibers were soft but still looked dry, thus making the wig very frizzy and still not the style I wanted it in. So I decided to curl the wig...since it can't possibly get any worst condition since it was heat-resistant. As I was applying heat to the wig, it kept getting silkier and straighter! I felt like an accidental genius at that point. Anyway, instead of continuing to curl it, I straightened the whole wig and now it looks good as new!
     PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS ONLY WORKS ON HEAT-RESISTANT WIGS. IF YOU APPLY HIGH HEAT ON NON-HEAT-RESISTANT WIGS, IT WILL FURTHER DAMAGE IT! HOWEVER, you can try with low heat as I did with my other (non-heat resistant) wig; but I can't guarantee that it will work on all wigs. Please do a strand test beforehand!
    Comparisons of the fibers
    The bangs were still really flat so I curled them with an iron. For some reason, it was difficult to curl the length of the wig with an iron so I decided to crimp it with the braid method. I might go out and get some hot rollers and try them out. But until then, here is the wig now:

    I hope you find this tutorial helpful!

    Labels: , ,



    Blogger Kat said on February 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM  

    That wig looks so natural on you! seriously amazing job, you suit it a lot!
    x<3


    Blogger KUROWonderland said on February 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM  

    @Kat: Thank you <3


    Blogger The Wiseman's Bird Hat said on October 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM  

    Hi I tried washing my synthetic wig for the first time using your method - soaking in fabric softener with water and then I washed with wig shampoo and sprayed with wig conditioner while it was still wet and then left to dry overnight.

    In the morning I thought it was still wet because it had that kind of greasy hair look but I found it was dry so I was wondering if you could guess what caused it to look wet and greasy, and not particularly soft. I had to brush it out and spray with dry shampoo to get rid of the yucky look.

    I didn't have enough fabric conditioner to do 1 part to 4 parts water (which seems quite strong anyway), but apart from that I don't know what it could be....any clues?


    Blogger KUROWonderland said on October 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM  

    @The Wiseman's Bird Hat
    Hi, I have never had this problem with washing my wigs with this method. Often times, if your wig is very damaged, you might need to soak it multiple times (or even for longer periods) in order for it to get softer.
    The wig in the pictures above on my post has only been soaked in fabric softener and wasn't washed with wig shampoo or conditioner, maybe the shampoo or conditioner is causing the greasiness?

    Post a Comment